Consistent with the mission, vision and values of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and the College of Health and Human Services, the BSW Program educates generalist social work professionals to be able to: 1) promote community well-being by seeking social and economic justice; 2) pursue the elimination of poverty; 3) prevent conditions that limit human rights; and 4) seek to enhance the quality of life for all. A person and environment construct, a global perspective, respect for human diversity, and knowledge based on scientific inquiry drive the curriculum.
The curriculum of the BSW Program emphasizes effective social work practice in North Carolina's largest urban area, a rapidly growing multi-county setting where numerous vulnerable people, families and groups reside. The Charlotte region includes the nation's third largest public nonprofit healthcare system as a feature of its unique historical, social, and cultural milieu(1). The educational program promotes a secure learning environment, accommodates a diverse student body including many first generation college students, and transfer students.
- Graduates of the UNC-Charlotte BSW Program will be able to:
- Use a wide range of prevention and intervention methods in their practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities;
- Apply ethical principles, critical thinking, and incorporate diversity in their practice;
- Recognize, support, and build on the strengths and resiliency of all human beings; and
- Engage in research informed practice, respond proactively to the impact of context on professional practice, and integrate all of the BSW Program's core competencies in practice.
- Graduates of the UNC-Charlotte BSW Program will practice generalist social work in a manner that values service, social justice, the dignity and worth of the person, the importance of human relationships, integrity, competence, human rights, safety and scientific inquiry.
- Carolinas Healthcare System. 2014). About us. Retrieved from http://carolinashealthcare.org/cmc-union.