Guidance for Advanced Standing Applicants:
Applicants are encouraged to go to the MSW Admission Criteria page for a listing of the criteria considered in the admission process and for an outline of the supporting documents (i.e. - transcripts, resume) required. The following information is meant to supplement what is outlined on the MSW Admission Criteria page.
- It may be helpful for recommendations to come from professionals who have a thorough knowledge about your academic performance, leadership skills, and/or practice experience. Examples include the applicant's BSW Program Director, a Field Director/Coordinator, your academic advisor, or a supervisor (internship, work, volunteer). A recommendation is stronger if it specifically endorses the applicant for Advanced Standing within the form or uploaded letter.
- A 3.0 is the minimum GPA needed to apply for Advanced Standing.
- Advanced Standing applicants will not automatically be considered for the 2 year plan of study. Applicants who also wish to be considered for the 2 year program, must submit a separate application and fee for that program.
- Due to limited space, not all qualified applicants will be offered admission. We encourage applicants to keep in mind that the majority of students applying for Advanced Standing have high GPAs and all applicants will have internship experience. We, therefore, recommend applicants highlight (through the resume, Personal Statement, and recommendations) their individual accomplishments and contributions to the social work profession, including efforts toward alleviating social problems. Applicants are encouraged to extol their contributions in the areas of leadership, social justice, and community engagement.
Eligibility for Advanced Standing:
- Applicants in their final year of study in a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and who have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible to apply for Advanced Standing
- Applicants who have earned a BSW within the past seven years from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and who have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible to apply for Advanced Standing.
- Applicants who have earned a BSW recognized by the Council on Social Work Education through its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service or who earned a BSW covered under a memorandum of understanding by the Council on Social Work Education with international social work accreditors are also eligible to apply for Advanced Standing. International applicants should contact the Council on Social Work Education for more information and are encouraged to visit this site for more information: https://www.cswe.org/Centers-Initiatives/Initiatives/International-Degree-Review. Applicants who earned undergraduate social work degrees outside of the United States, can also contact the Admissions Director for assistance in determining whether or not they are eligible for Advanced Standing.