Can I double-count the courses I take toward both a graduate degree and the ECMH certificate?

That depends. If you are currently enrolled in a degree program, you can double-count courses toward the degree and the certificate program but you must complete both before you can graduate from UNC Charlotte.  Currently, once you earn your graduate degree, you cannot come back to UNC Charlotte and “finish up” the certificate.

Can someone enrolled in an undergraduate degree program be admitted into the certificate program?

No. You must have a four-year undergraduate degree before you enter the program.

Can students enrolled in another graduate degree program be admitted to the certificate program?


Do I have to mail anything?

No. The application is entirely online.

If I finish the certificate program and later decide I want to earn a graduate degree program at UNC Charlotte, can I transfer in the courses I took in the certificate program toward the degree?

You can usually apply 6 credit hours (two courses) toward a graduate degree.  Talk to Dr. Diana Rowan if you are considering this option.

Is the certificate program available online?

No.  One course, SOWK 6171 Early Childhood Mental Health, is 100% online.  The other courses required for the certificate meet on the main campus.

Is there a cost to apply?

Yes.  The Graduate School assesses a one-time fee of $75.00.

Who can provide a recommendation for me?

The recommendation should come from a human service professional with at least a four-year undergraduate degree.  Examples include former graduate or undergraduate internship supervisors, past or present work supervisors, or other professionals who have supervised you and can vouch for your ability to work with young children and their families.

Who do I contact for more information?

Admissions Team