Application Submission Process for Fall 2017 BSW Program Admission
Instructions for Submitting a BSW Upper Division Application:
In order to apply to the BSW Program (also referred to as Upper Division), applicants first must create a free Tk20 UNC Charlotte account. Applicants can create an account at any time, but will only be able to see, complete, and submit the application during the open application submission periods listed below.
- Go to: https://uncc.tk20.com/campustoolshighered/start.do
- Select: Admissions (it is toward the bottom of the page)
- Select: Click here to create your account
- Fill in the required information and create an account
- Once you have created an account, select: Back to login
- Enter your username and password on the home screen
- Select: Log into your account
- Select: +Create a new application
- Select the BSW Upper Division Application 2017 from the drop down menu. This application will only appear during the appliation submission period. (Do not select a field placement application. The field placement application is for students in our program who are ready for internships.)
- Continue to follow prompts to complete application. An asterisk (*) next to a question means that a response is required. You may save and come back to work further on your application at a later time, but once you click “create,” your application will be submitted and it cannot be changed.
Application Submission Periods:
Early Admission Submission Period: February 15, 2017-March 15, 2017 (closes at 11:45pm) - Applicants will be notified of admission decisions no later than April 1st.
Traditional Admission Submission Period: May 1, 2017-July 1, 2017 (closes at 11:45pm) - Applicants will be notified of admission decisions no later than August 1st.
Applying for the Undergraduate Social Work Honors Program:
Applicants who would like to apply to the Undergraduate Social Work Honors program (USWH) will be able to do so within the BSW Program Application and there will be a space to upload the additional USWH essay. Applicants can apply to the USWH program during either submission period.
Applicants will need to append the following when they complete the electronic application:
Social Work Advising Checklist updated and signed by a CHHS Advisor as verification that the applicant has met the admission criteria
- Unofficial Transcripts from all institutions the student attended including transfer institutions - It will not be sufficient to only submit a UNC Charlotte transcript with transfer grades listed.
- Essay (4-5 pages) in APA format which responds to the following prompts:
- Please discuss your reasons for seeking admission intot he BSW Program and your career goals.
- Describe a social problem of concern to you. Include research that help the reader better understand the problem.
- Social workers practice with diverse groups. What groups may challenge you because of either your personal values, attiutdes, and/or experience and how will you handle this?
- Based on your previous volunteer and/or employment experience related to social work, discuss what you did to ensure that you helped and did not cause harm to those you served.
- Undergraduate Social Work Honors (USWH) Essay - Uploaded only if applying to the USWH program
It is recommended that applicants begin preparing the documents that will need to be uploaded (resumes, transcripts, Social Work Advising Checklist, and essay), prior to the application system opening. Students will find the application itself is very short and can be completed in approximately 45-60 minutes. It is preparing the supporting documents that will take time, but this can be completed well in advance of the submission period.
Applicants are enouraged to make an appointment to meet with the CHHS Academic Advisors early to obtain a copy of their Social Work Advising Checklist which must be updated and signed by a CHHS Advisor. Applicants should keep in mind that a lack of early scheduling on the part of the student will not constitute the need to schedule an emergency last-minute appointment by the advisor. Applicants are applying for admission to professional program and are expected to demonstrate professional behavior which includes being able to effectivley plan and manage their time well. "My advisor wasn't available to meet with me" will not be considered an acceptable excuse that warrants a late submission. No applications will be accepted after the application system closes.